Saturday, May 30, 2009

Oxford Street

I woke up late today, probably because I stayed up past midnight last night drawing (when I looked at the clock my draw dropped). Anyways, I got an all day pass for the underground and went to Oxford Circus. I have no idea why they call it Circus. A circus at home involves clowns and a three ring act, here it is just a train station. One of the guide books said there was a bomb thrift store, the Salvation Army, so I went looking for it. First I found H&M and tried on a bunch of stuff - it was exciting because I have never seen one before, but the Sims game I used to play had it. I got a black skirt with flowers on it and I got a some hair pins with flowers on them. Then I kinda found the Salvation Army, r at least that is what it said on the outside. On the inside was only books and a sign for prayer meetings. So I left. Very quickly.
I still can't believe I am here. I keep reminding myself. It's like when you are high and you can only think in the present. EVerything seems to happen to you, like you're not an active participant. Just there.
I go a free makeover at Clinique. They were having some kind of buy something and get this sale. I found a lovely lipstick and a nice foundation but they didn't have my color which bummed me out. Until I saw all the other makeup vendors and tried the Dior eyeshadow and put my flower pin in my hair and took a picture in the park. I felt very pretty.
I'm amazed at how flat Hyde Park is. Now I understand why they named what must be the only hill. All of London is flat now that I think of it. It is really strange. Imagine San Fran flat! I've been munching on beef jerky and granola bars all day. I should be eating real european food, but what is that anyways. So anyways I cut through the park and they have a little pond thing going on and I took some pictures and sat leaning against a tree in the shade. I was hot, hungry and I wanted to drop off the stuff I bought at the hostel.
I bought a purple summer scarf that had some silver tinsel in it and a hot pink purse, and 15 postcards for 95 pence (like cents). I also got some water and this nasty hot dog - it was crispy on the outside and mushy on the inside - and it was brown, not pink or red. I had like tow bites but couldn't do it and left on a bench. Hopefully some hobo will eat it. So tonight my mission is to go to a pub. I am nervous because I don't know what to do or say. I don't want to sit and get drunk by myself, and I don't want to get too drunk and end up lost or attacked.
I've been noticing that the people here are different, just generally. There are alot more people with red hair, curly hair, blue eyes and big boobs. My boobs don't even seem big here. Also they call kids and young people funny things like "poppet" and "mumsy" and "love". Everyone is shorter too, so I don't seem to small. And of course everyone is thinner than the US. There are also alot of Arab people here; and in H&M there was a girl with a hijib (sp? - the headress thing muslims wear) and it was covered in fake gems. I loved that she was blending the two cultures.
There is a cute guy that speaks Spanish or Italian here. He is hot hot. Maybe I'll go into the lounge and see if anyone is there. There is a lounge with a TV where most people sit and don't talk, and then another one where they read and don't talk. I hope someone wants to hangout.
Everyone I meet asks me where I am from. I say California and they say "Thanks for bringing your weather here!" or they start singing American Woman. In their funny accents. Which is silly. Mostly guys do these corny things. I have a hard time understanding some of the people, with the accents and all. I just go 'what?" and they look at me like I am stupid and repeat themselves and if I still don't get it I smile and walk away.

No comments:

Fin?

Fin?