Friday, May 29, 2009

First Full day by Myself

Last night I took a nap and woke up just as it was getting dark. I sat in the garden to let the cool air wipe away my exhaustion and my sore head. An Australian Lady told me I looked shell shocked. The garden is actually just four picnic tables and a yard of rocks. My cell wouldn't work - so much for a world phone, no reception. Everyone in my room spoke french. I was I had learned it before I came. I'm scared about the whole thing. I just wish I had a person to talk to here.
I had a hard time sleeping. There is a little kitchen to cook in, and then the doors lead to the garden where you can eat. I brought some instant oatmeal with me and I cooked it and talked to the only other people in there. Some Canadian girls were here for school and they are leaving, but they told me it will be 18 degrees C today. So I guess what's warm? I wanted to laugh because 18 degrees in F is like nightmare cold. I started an e-mail list so I can mass e-mail everyone at home. My grandma is so worried about this whole trip, but I think my dad is proud I decided to go even though all my friends bailed out.
I went to the super market but nothing's the same here. They didn't even have Cheerios or instant oatmeal. The milk even comes in pints and smaller (like a quart). Water also comes in giant or tiny. I bought grapes, a giant water and raviolis. I found the super market on accident - I was actually trying to get to the natural history museum. It is pretty hot - I thought London was supposed to be cold all the time? All the buildings I have been in are incredibly stuffy so I try and stay outside.
I got lost coming back from the museum too. All the streets in this area seem to end with garden or gate. When I got back and drew a map in my journal it was easy to see where I went wrong but it is much harder when you're walking around out there. The buildings are tall and a lot of red brick with white brick trims and the streets are narrow. The lights to cross the street are different too.
The museum was big with all these impressive displays but it was way too hot in there. It was the first time I just walked through a museum without reading every bit of writing. At first I went into the physical science section which had only the basics which I knew from all of my college classes. I was driven out of the insect section by the sheer masses of children. The bird section was cool but there wasn't much to read. It kept getting more crowded and I was hot so I slipped into a side room - turns out I had just walked into a lecture about capturing and killing flies in Scotland. Did you know they have over a million bugs in their collection? I started to nod off since my sleeping schedule is all screwed up so I left. I took one look at the long line to get into the dino building and walked out of the museum. THe building is really impressive and long and old looking, like a castle. I wanted to sit in the grass outside but I would probably just fall asleep and wake up at dark.
I packed beef jerky which I snacked on all day instead of eating a proper lunch. The grapes here have no flavor. I guess it was stupid of me to get grapes, seeing as I come from the wine country in California. Londoners must have orgasms when they taste our grapes.
I think I am going to stay in tonight, unless I magically make friends in the next hour who invite me out. I want to go to a pub, maybe I will tomorrow. I am nervous just thinking about it though. I've only been at one bar and it was for like 5 minutes with my best friend who ordered some beer and we shared it and left. Tomorrow is Sunday and I leave Wednesday...wow, this is going to go by fast.

No comments:

Fin?

Fin?